Round 4 - Coaches Reports

A wet and heavy ground greeted the players at Singleton on Saturday. After last week’s frustrating draw with Warner’s Bay, the senior team were keen to get back on the winner’s list. With a number of changes in personnel, the side was somewhat different to the week before. Tim Martini received a late all up for his debut match and was suitably excited at the prospect. 

The first half was a slog, the ball moving slowly in the boggy ground. Singleton’s midfield were taking it up to the Hawks, however some strong periods saw Singleton take an early lead, a goal the difference at the main break. 

A similar story continued in the second period, however Cardiff we’re unable to capitalise, and went into the main break adrift by 20 points. Some changes at half time saw midfielder Jack Pratt return to his more familiar role in defence, and an attacking Trent Thompson move up onto a wing. Scott Pierce and Izaac Hughes gave some options up forward, and the latter added an x-factor when moved into the middle. 

Four goals straight in the third closed the gap. Coach Tomlinson had asked the group to just close the gap to put ourselves within striking distance. Midfield goals to Thompson and Hughes helped the course, and an 11 point difference had the boys within shouting distance. 

The final quarter continued to be an effort. Another four goal quarter proved good, but not good enough. The Roosters kept their beaks in front and when the final siren sounded, the Hawks were on the wrong end of a 4 point deficit. It was pleasing to see the determination of the team in turning around a 22 point point deficit, but ultimately a win is what we need. 

This week will get no easier, with Terrigal traveling up the highway. The team are excited at being tested by the best and giving a good account of themselves.
  Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Singleton 2.2-14 5.6-36 7.9-51 10.9-69
Cardiff 1.2-8 2.4-16 6.4-40 10.5-65
Goal Kickers: S. Pierce 4, I. Hughes 2, T. Thompson, P. Delaney, M. Ryan, L. Price
Best Players: P. Delaney, S. Pierce, B. Towers, C. Spoor, I. Hughes, C. Mayo

Could not be more contrasting weather this week as The Birds head to Rutherford to take on the Maitland Saints. Rain , a cool breeze and a heavy track greet us but we know the importance of the games this year and The Birds are on!

Not surprisingly the footy wasn’t pretty but we are clearly dominating and hit the scoreboard four minutes in through Nikki , a couple of near misses and two more goals sees us go to the first break 3/4/22 to 0/0/0.

A similar affair in the second as we dominate in the wet against a depleted Maitland outfit. A five goal second term and we charge away as Maitland try hard but can’t go with us as the ball stays in our half for the entire quarter. Half time and we lead

8/8/56 to 0/0/0.

A bit of copy and paste here as we again win the battle for field position and continually pepper the goals. Given the conditions we can be forgiven for a few missed scoring shots and go in at three quarter time still leading comfortably.

9/12/66 to 0/0/0.

It would have been easy to put the old cue in the rack but we solder on in the mud and refuse to give up our domination of field position leaving Maitland no hope of scoring. Maitland tried hard but in the end we were just too strong.

12/13/85 to 0/0/0.

Goal Kickers: T. Gregory 2, E. Bailey 2, A. Cooksley 2, C. Cummings, J. Rheinberger , N. Standen, T. Grazules, M. Coram-Parker, A. Fardell
Best Players: D. Spamer, N. Standen, M. Coram-Parker, T. Grazules, S. Vukovich, C. Cummings

The Hawks took on Maitland for the second time this season and were full of confidence after convincingly beating them in round 1.  The ground was sloppy even before we started to play and a light rain throughout the match ensured that the game was going to be a contested affair.

Danny introduced himself nicely to the boys in his first game, kicking 2 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game. He was supported by Dave and Dean who both kicked goals in the first quarter to give us a 4-goal lead at the first break.

Maitland put up a bit more resistance during the start of the 2nd quarter, however towards the back end of the quarter, our boys kicked away nicely and took a health 9 goal lead into the main break. Brendan Wold kicked his 400th goal for his senior career early in the quarter and added 2 more late in the quarter.  Congratulations on the achievement Woldy!

The 3rd quarter saw the game become a little more contested with deteriorating conditions and some positional changes around the ground. We only managed to kick 3 for the quarter, 1 to Danny and 2 to Woldy, which sees Woldy sit comfortable atop the league goal kicking ladder.

The 4th quarter saw the boys come out hungry to bury the Saints. 4 goals in the first 10 minutes of the quarter and another 2 towards the end of the match saw us hammer the nail into the coffin and showed we can maintain pressure for a full 4 quarters. This was highlighted by the boys keeping Maitland goalless for the game.

The movement of the footy out of our midfield was great to watch and handling by our mids and forwards was surprisingly clean, given the conditions. Some great rucking by Janson and Holmes set us up at stoppages with the footy regularly going straight down the throats of our running mids. Dave and Dip where instrumental in our win with great positioning around stoppages and attacking ball movement up the ground to our forwards. Debutants, Karlen and Colin both got involved during the game and showed their commitment to the ball with any repeat efforts in the boggy conditions.

For Round 5 we return home to take on Gosford and further cement ourselves at the top of the ladder.



Goal Kickers: B. Wold 7, D. Graan 3, D. Janson 2, J. Martin, T. Williams, M. Holmes, A. Walker, T. Brown

Best Players: D. Graan, B. Wold, M. Holmes, M. Dippolito, K. Cowan